The Church of St Peter Monks Horton
Photograph courtesy of Tom Page
In “A Saunter Through Kent with Pen and Pencil” published in 1914 Monks Horton was described thus: “Almost isolated, and near the foot of the Downs, stands the little parish church, the old Court Lodge and one or two dwellings close by alone dot the otherwise big expanse of pasture and arable land”
Monks Horton is a small hamlet in the village of Kent. When the Domesday survey was done Horton, which was in the hundred of Stowting, belonged to Hugo de Montfort. There was a church and a mill valued at 25 pence. The hundred of Stowting consisted of Stowting, Elmsted, Monks Horton, Sellindge, Stanford, Selling, Stowting and Waltham.
Tudor Kite Cottage was originally the Manor House. Nearby are the remains of a 12th century Priory, which became a farmhouse after the dissolution. Stone from the demolished monastery was used in building new castles for defence against invasion, during Henry VIII’s reign. There were five such castles built to protect vulnerable areas, three on the Deal shore, one at Deal itself, a second at Walmer and a third at Sandown, a mile to the north of Deal; another at Sandgate and a fifth at Camber, near Rye, Sussex.
Today there is the Church of St. Peter which was originally built around the 14th Century but obviously has had additions, changes and repairs over the centuries. There is a lovely little book worth reading about it: “The Church of St. Peter, Monks Horton” by Roy Leadbetter published in 1988.