STANLEY SMITH SHRUBSOLE
1880 - 1959
Stanley Smith Shrubsole was born 1880 in Sheerness, Kent, the youngest of six children, the son of William Hobbs & Hannah Janet Shrubsole.
He died 3rd March 1959 in Machakos Training College, Machakos, Kenya, where his daughter Alison was principal of the college. One assumes he was on a visit to Alison when he died, as probate gives his address as 72 Quarry Park Road, Cheam, Surrey.
Probate was granted to his widow Margaret Castlefranc Shrubsole; his effects totalled £3714 15s 10d.
He had married Margaret Castlefranc Cheveley in 1914 in London & below is a transcript of their wedding:
CHELTENHAM CHRONICLE & GLOUCESTERSHIRE GRAPHIC, SATURDAY JUNE 13TH 1914
CHELTENHAM MINISTER’S WEDDING IN LONDON
Rev. S.S. SHRUBSOLE - MISS M.C. CHEVELEY
Many Cheltonians’ thoughts on Saturday afternoon were turned towards London where at Park Chapel, Crouch End - for many years the scene of the labours of the Rev. Dr. Alfred Rowland, a preacher well known to Cheltonians through his lifelong friendship with the minister of Highbury Congregational Church - the Rev. Stanley S. Shrubsole, B.D., who twelve months ago left New College to succeed the Rev. J. Lloyd Davies in the pastorate of Highbury Church, was wedded to Miss Margaret Castlefranc Cheveley, daughter of Mr. R.D. Cheveley, of Crouch End, formerly of the Treasury, Bank of England, and prior to that of Leeds. The bridegroom, who is the son of Mr William Hobbs Shrubsole, F.G.S, of Croydon, had the Rev. H. Douglas Budden, B.A., B.D., Of Claylands, Clapham as best man.
The bride who was given away by her father wore a handsome wedding gown of white satin, the Court train being trimmed with real lace and orange blossom. She carried a bouquet of white and pale pink carnations and wore a diamond and turquoise ring, the gift of the bridegroom. She was attended by three bridesmaids, viz., Miss Hilda Booth (Crouch End), Miss Nell Johnson (Hampstead), and Miss Kathleen Griffin (a neice of the bridegroom, of Eltham), who were dressed in pale blue satin veiled with mauve ninon, with hats of biscuit tagel straw trimmed with blue ribbon and mauve sweet peas. They carried bouquets of sweet peas and wore brooches, the gifts of the bridegroom.
The fully choral service was conducted by the Rev. G.E. Darlaston, M.A., Pastor of Park Chapel, who took a leading part in the bridegroom’s ordination service in Cheltenham last September, and who was assisted by the Rev J.T. Maxwell, late of Plymouth. Mr. Josiah Booth, A.R.A.M., The well-known composer, was at the organ, and played appropriate selections, and the service also included the hymns “O Father All Creating” and “O Perfect Love”.
The bride’s father afterwards held a reception at Corbin Hall, which adjoins the chapel, at which there were about 150 guests, including near relatives and frineds from Hither Green (the bridegroom’s former home), Brockley etc., several College friends, and Miss G. Gurney and Miss Dean, members of Highbury Church, now living in London. During the reception many telegraphic messages of good wishes were received from friends in Cheltenham.
Mr. & Mrs. Shrubsole will spend their honeymoon at Llandudno, for which they left London in the afternon, the bride’s travelling costume being a French grey coat and skirt, with black tagel hat. The presents numbered upwards of 150. The bride’s present to her husband consisted of Globe-Wernicke bookcases, and others included a picture from the children of the Highbury Sunday-School, a plated tea tray from Park Chapel Sunday-School, a silver spirit kettle and silver salt-cellars from Hither Green Boy’s Own Class, a firescreen from friends at New College, Hampstead, a rose bowl from Rev. Silas K. Hoxcking, and the following:- Bridegroom’s father, cheque; bride’s father, cheque, carpet, house linen, trousseau; Mr. R.D. Cheveley, jun., Dining-room easy chair; Mrs Hortop, dining-room table; Mr & Mrs Harry Shrubsole, table plate; Mr & Mrs. W.L. Shrubsole, furniture; Mr & Mrs Griffin, oak-framed mirror; Mr & Mrs Geo. Smith, cheque and carpet, Mrs. McCracker, trunk; Mr & Mrs Conway, fire-irons and dogs.
A cheque this week has been forwarded to Mr. Shrubsole by direction of Highbury Church Members assembled at their montly meeting; and at the social gathering which is to be held at Highbury on the 25th inst., on their return from honeymoon Mr & Mrs Shrubsole are to receive further gifts provided by a fund to which the congregation generally were at liberty to subscribe.
A HISTORY OF THE 1ST CHELTENHAM (HIGHBURY) SCOUT GROUP WRITTEN FOR THE CENTENARY OF ITS FOUNDING IN 2008 SAYS THE FOLLOWING ABOUT STANLEY SMITH SHRUBSOLE:
NEW MINISTER AT HIGHBURY
In 1913 Rev. Stanley S. Shrubsole, B.D., succeeded the Rev John Lloyd Davies, B.A. Who had been Minister from 1906-1912. He started his working life with the Prudential Insurance Company as a Clerk before going to New College in 1909 where he finished as Best Student of the Final Year and with a B.D.. He then gained a Diploma in Psychology from the University of London. On arrival at Highbury he became Chaplain to the Troop receiving his warrant on Nov 11th 1913. In April 1914 he conducted a service for the Scouts of Cheltenham at the Winchcombe Street Church. Attended by 160 Scouts and their leaders it was the first time they had visited a Nonconformist Church. That year Mr. Joseland and Mr. Simpson left to serve in the War. He became acting SM and Oscar Bloodworth (aged about 20), ASM. There were 4 Patrols and 20 Scouts. That same year he married Margaret Cheveley, a bank cashier and suffragette and they eventually had three daughters, the youngest of whom, Alison, became Principal of Homerton College, Cambridge. The Rev. Shrubsole left Highbury in 1920 moving to Sutton Congregational Church, Surrey. Their Manual for 1923 reports the recent formation of a Wolf Club Pack with the intention of starting a Scout Troup. He returned to preach at the new Highbury Church in August 1933 from Ipswich. He died on March 3rd 1959 at Machakos Training College, Kenya where his daughter was then Principal.
“ 'Shrubby' was an ideal friend to the young people but it was typical of his relationship to them that, though he was their companion in every kind of fun and amusement, he never lost his dignity, nor the spiritual leadership which is a minister's greatest gift to his young people.”
The inscription on Stanley’s headstone, at All Soul’s Cathedral, Machakos, Kenya, reads as follows:
STANLEY S SHRUBSOLE//
FATHER AND MINISTER//
MY PEACE I GIVE UNTO YOU//
Stanley was Minister of Highbury Congregational Church, Cheltenham from 1913-1920. And this is the report of his retirement from Highbury in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic Saturday Jan 3rd 1920.
Stanley moved on from here to Sutton Congregational Church, Surrey. His next pastorate was at Ipswich & then finally at Croydon, Surrey.
And this piece on his retirement from the Gloucestershire Echo Jan 23rd 1946
Stanley & Margaret Shrubsole had three daughters -
Gwynneth M. b1916
Hilary C. b1920
Alison C. b1925.
Gwynneth Margaret Shrubsole married Lieutenant (E) Robert Candlish Allen, R.N. in 1940
The newspaper clip is from the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic of Saturday, Aug 3rd 1940
Hilary C Shrubsole travelled to the Cape, South Africa at the age of 30, leaving Liverpool on 22 March 1951. Her occupation was described as a Technical Advisor Horticulture. I have lost track of her from here. If anyone knows more I would be interested.
Alison Chevely Shrubsole was born 7th April 1925 Sutton, Surrey & died 4th October, 2002 in Spain. She married George Huntley Hilton Brown in 1983. Below is an extract from the Guardian written at the time of her death, giving an insight into her life. It was with Alison that her father Stanley was staying in Kenya when he died.
By George Hubbard
Alison Shrubsole, who has died in Spain aged 77, became principal of Homerton College, Cambridge, in 1971, and was immediately faced with a battle for its survival as a college of education in Cambridge. The three-year degree course for all students of education proposed by the James Report in 1971 was not compatible with Cambridge honours degrees, and Homerton's future was in jeopardy. In a climate still nurturing a good deal of hostility, Shrubsole succeeded none the less in making good friends within the university and exercised her considerable skills of tact and diplomacy to negotiate a four-year Cambridge B.Ed honours course, with the first two years taught at Homerton, followed by two years teaching in the university.
In 1976, Homerton, traditionally a women's college, began to admit men, and in the same year, its position within the university was consolidated with a ballot by the dons in favour of its formal affiliation as an "Approved Society".
Shrubsole was born in Sutton, Surrey, the youngest of three children. Her father was a Congregationalist minister and her mother a bank cashier and suffragette; a gardening uncle fondly called her "Alison Subsoil". She was educated at Milton Mount College and took a degree in history at Royal Holloway College followed by a PGCE at the London Institute of Education before gaining an MA at Cambridge.
In 1950 she was appointed senior lecturer in history at Stockwell College in south London, a post she held until 1957 when she accepted the challenge of becoming the first principal of Machakos Teacher Training College in Kenya.
The first task for her and her students was to construct the building, which was achieved with characteristic efficiency and team leadership despite primitive conditions and shortage of resources. To obtain a water supply for the college, Shrubsole had to argue her case with the district commissioner. He initially refused, but later relented and agreed - in exchange for a date. A deal was struck and many years later the two would marry. In 1962 she returned to Britain to become principal of Philippa Fawcett College in London.
Throughout her time at Homerton, Shrubsole represented the college as an active member of the then Association of Voluntary Colleges, a body of mainly church-based colleges of education directly funded by central government. Although she was a committed Christian and a regular worshipper at Emmanuel United Reformed Church in Cambridge, she was always sensitive to others with different beliefs and was careful in her public life to ensure that her own faith caused no problem or embarrassment for anyone.
Shrubsole applied a distinctive style of leadership and excelled at bringing the best out of all those around her. She had a lively sense of fun and, above all, a genuine concern for the well-being of all her colleagues and students. She was unfailingly modest, making light of her achievements, preferring instead to encourage the efforts of others.
She was a fellow of Hughes Hall, Cambridge, and was awarded the CBE in 1982. In 1985 she received an honorary degree from the Open University.
In 1983, to the delighted astonishment of her colleagues at Homerton, Shrubsole returned from the "long vac" to announce that she had been married in Gibraltar to George Hilton Brown, the one-time district commissioner of Machakos. In the final two years before her retirement she made it her business to learn Spanish, and it was to Andalusia she went upon leaving Cambridge, to join her husband in farming and breeding rabbits. There, in the village of Rubite, she soon became a much loved and respected member of the community, continuing the habit of a lifetime in caring for the interests of others.
Alison Shrubsole maintained close contact with Homerton and her many friends in this country, making regular visits back to her pied-à-terre in Kent.
Last year she rejoiced with the college as it took the final step into full integration as a college of the university, now admitting students in other tripos subjects as well as education studies.
Alison Cheveley Shrubsole, educationalist, born April 7 1925; died October 4 2002